Thursday, June 7, 2007

Unit 7: The Myth About Student Competency

Oblinger and Hawkin’s article explains the level in which today’s college students have been exposed, understand and use computers for their daily routines. The authors point out “today student’s seem to have no hesitation about using technology” (p. 154). Even though this might be the case, the authors question whether or not students are IT competent. They use the term information literacy to help define this level of competence. “Information literacy is the ability to recognize when information is needed and to locate, evaluate, and use that information effectively… it includes cognitive activities, such as, acquiring, interpreting, and evaluating the quality of information” (p. 154). To help develop students IT competency, the authors suggest five questions to pay particular attention to. They are as follows: What skills do students (and faculty) need in a digital age? Do we have an operative definition of IT literacy? Do we help students acquire the skills they need? Is IT literacy integrated across all units? and, do we know how well we are doing? To become IT literate, students need critical skills facilitated by technology to provide them with guidance of the principles of academic honesty. Students must be aware of the increasing use of “visualization, audio, and augmented reality” (p. 155). Students must have access to acquire help due to the fact that their abilities could be all over the board. Students must develop these skills through the context of a discipline; it requires practice, long-term effort.

For me, I understand that my placement, in relation to IT competency, is at the lower end. I am not incompetent, but I do struggle with my ability to locate, evaluate, and use information from technology sources. This is my work in progress, the area in which I want to improve in so that I will develop the skills that will support me in a complex, rapidly changing world. I would have never guessed the amount of change in technology that has taken place during my career as a student. I have a lot of catching up to do, especially if I want to use information wisely for the benefit of others (my students).

Oblinger, D.G., Hawkins, B.L., (2006). The myth about student competency. Educause Review. 12-13

No comments: